THE TWITCH INN
The Malling Society will be opening the Twitch Inn (Malling Heritage Centre) for Heritage Weekend Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September 2012, 11am to 4pm each day.
The Twitch will also be open on Remembrance Sunday 8 November 2012 11am to 5pm
We have planned openings 11am to 4pm on Sunday 27th May, Sunday 24th June , Sunday 22nd July and the Heritage Open days Saturday & Sunday 8th & 9th September 2012 besides Remembrance Sunday..
Access to the Twitch can only be made on foot and there is no parking at Douces Manor. Visitors are advised to park on street in St Leonards Street. Admission is free. On display there will be the permanent exhibition on the history of West Malling Airfield (now Kings Hill) and an exhibition on Local Inns & Beerhouses.
The Twitch is situated down a flight of steps past the front door of the Manor and turning right. Visitors to the exhibition are reminded that the properties above the cellar are in private ownership. The Twitch Inn was on 17 July 2008 leased to West Malling Parish Council by the developers Beechcroft for a period of 125 years for use as a Heritage Centre. Enquiries 01732 870872.
The Malling Society is also mounting a photographic and text exhibition on Saturday 5th May & Monday 7th May from 10am to 4pm each day and again on Heritage Open Days from on 8th & 9th September 2012 in the Clout Institute, High Street, West Malling ( opposite the Village Green). The exhibition is entitled “West Malling 1841” and is about people who were living in West Malling at the time of the Census taken on the 6th June 1841 and is illustrated by later photographs where they lived. It has not been possible to identify where all the people recorded in the Census were living, but records for the High Street are fairly complete and we have included some properties in Swan Street, King Street (called Sole Street in the Census) and St Leonard’s Street.